The Geoff Hartwell Jam

Last night was the third anniversary of the Geoff Hartwell Jam in Pleasantville, NY. I never go to this jam because it costs $5 to get in and I am a cheap bastard. The email that Geoff sent me, though, included a line:

We have NEVER cancelled due to weather because the die hards ALWAYS come out (Like Fabulous Phil Chadeayne!!! “Is this jam goin on or WHAT?” LOL…

Phil was my boss for nearly 14 years and we went to Blues Week in Elkins, West Virginia together and played together at the Tap House Jam many times. Phil plays guitar and I play harmonica. I don’t get to see Phil that much any more so I had to show up.

I have been doing a little work on Geoff’s web page, so I brought Erica’s fancy camera and took some shots. The Blues Jam photos can be viewed here.

Here are some sample pics:

Some Jammer’s. That’s Geoff’s sister singing. I believe that’s Patrick Nielsen Hayden on guitar on the right.

I snapped a picture of the Harmonica Enclave.

An here is the “Fabulous Phil Chadeayne!”

I used Macromedia Fireworks to throw together a little gallery of the night’s 38 images at the link above. I also have the very large 6meg images on CD.

8 Comments

1. Kathryn Cramer wrote:

The guitarist in black in this picture is Tor science fiction editor and überblogger Patrick Nielsen Hayden.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 at 11:12 am | Permalink
  2. Kathryn Cramer wrote:

Ah, looking at your post rather than just the photo gallery, I see you knew that.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 at 11:17 am | Permalink
  3. Keith wrote:

The next time I go to a jam, I’ll have to sell him a novel, but that would mean actually writing one.

I have audio of him playing. I could, perhaps, blackmail him with the tape.

KPG

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 at 11:43 am | Permalink
  4. Patrick Nielsen Hayden wrote:

Ow, the cut direct! Probably deserved–I was a little dazed and not quite up to speed with how this was going to work.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 at 6:32 pm | Permalink
  5. Keith wrote:

The deadliest words ever spoken at a jam are Slow Blues. Even good players, when stuck together in a jam situation have trouble making a song swing. Never agree to a slow blues. If one player drags, the song dies.

I remember when I jammed with Howard Armstrong – known as Louie Bluie – he started out each song by saying:

Let’s step it up and go. Let’s dust my broom. I don’t want any funeral marches. If you can’t keep up, you can’t catch up.

Friday, July 1, 2005 at 10:37 am | Permalink
  6. Anonymous wrote:

“Geoffrey’s sister” = Alison Hartwell.

-tnh

Thursday, July 7, 2005 at 10:36 am | Permalink
  7. Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the photos – we’ll have to get some of Geoff and I when we’re performing together (which is very rare, and loads of fun!)
    -Alison Hartwell

Monday, August 29, 2005 at 2:34 pm | Permalink
  8. FabulousPhil wrote:

So you couldn’t get a picture of me actually being fabulous?

Thursday, December 15, 2005 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Buy the Book!

I cleaned up my tab for Sonny Boy's Help Me and made it into a short book. There's a Kindle version for 99 cents, and if you buy the paperback you get the Kindle free.

Playing "Help-Me" In the Style of Sonny Boy Williamson II: A step by step, note for note analysis of some of Sonny Boy's Signature Riffs

I also write Science Fiction, so you can sample some of my best stories. Also available in Kindle format.

Error Message Eyes: A Programmer's Guide to the Digital Soul

Keith Graham's CThreePO.com Links

I started reading Science Fiction in the 1950s. I started Writing SF in the 1960s. Then, I had a life. Now I am retired, raising chickens and keeping bees. I am still an avid reader and I have sold about 70 stories in the last 20 years.
I have been collecting information about writing Science Fiction for many years now. Social media has replaced the Blog and large dedicated websites, so the pages here are mostly static. I update them from time to time.

Enjoy!

Book Reviews

Please note, the comments on this site are historical from when the site was a Blog. The web pages are now static, and there is no mechanism for leaving comments.