I cleaned out a camera and I found the pictures that I took while building the basket for my do-it-yourself honey extractor.
It is made of two pizza pie pans held together with threaded rod. The holes in the top are now bigger because I had to do a few deep frames when I had a hive collapse. I have added springs to hold the frames steady inside the basket. I have cut off the top of the central rod to make it shorter as I bent the rod when I had an accident with the drill.
I filed off the top of the rod square to make it easier to grab with the drill. The drill is the cheapest Craftsman variable speed drill that they had. I spin the frames one side at a time after opening the caps with a fork. (A simple table fork worked better than the expensive hot knife.) I start slowly and work up to a decent speed. It takes about a minute or so to completely dry out the frames. I then flip them and the second side takes even less time because the frames are lighter.
The garbage can with its strike plate and the pipe to hold the basket in place are in an older post.
My earlier attempt at a basket self destructed after one use. I just noticed that the basket shows the long rods at the bottom of the basket. Cut the excess off. Use Nylon tie wraps or galvanized wire to weave around the basket so the frames don’t slide out.
Click on the slide show to see the larger images.